The final race of the 2013 Outdoor Sports Center Bethel Spring Series will take place this weekend. I want to go over some of the key points of the day so that people know what to expect.
1. Cat 5 Clinic – it will cover some more advanced topics (like actual race tactics), fluency topics (track stand, pick things up off the ground), and then for any newcomers or racers that want to review we’ll have a bump/paceline bit of work. If anyone wants to cover something in particular please let me know. You can post a comment here and ask that it not be made public, that’s fine.
2. Podium/Individual GC. For all races except Cat 5s there will be a podium presentation immediately after each race finishes. Since we have to calculate the GC the podium pictures may cause minor delays. There’s a buffer built into the schedule so we should be okay overall. However, for those in the overall hunt, please keep the podium presentation in mind.
3. For the last week there will be an extra place for points towards the overall GC. A win will be 10 points, instead of 7. There will be points awarded for 2nd through 7th as well, the normal 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 spread. If two racers are tied on points then the last points earned determine the order.
For example if there are two riders that scored 2 and 5 points in two race, they would both have 7 points total. However the racer that scored the 5 points in the second race would be in front of the racer that scored 2 points in the second race.
There are cash prizes for individual GC plus trophies.
4. Team GC - the top 3 riders overall from each team gets counted. This is not like the pros where the top 3 each stage get counted. For the Bethel Spring Series it’s the top 3 overall from each team.
If a rider switches teams or joins a team in the middle of the Series the points the rider earns while on the team count towards the team overall. This prevents teams from “buying” points by snatching up unattached riders who have racked up points (which has happened in the past).
There is only one trophy for each race – winner takes all. There is no other prize. Please have your team ready in team kits for a picture on the podium. Team bike and other sponsored items welcome at the podium as well.
5. The Raffle! We will hold a raffle after the Cat 3-4 race finishes so that means about 2 PM, perhaps just after that. The raffle will take place on the side area of the building, out of the main driveway path. Racers will have been getting a ticket for each race they entered in the last three weeks of the Series – the more you race the more chances you have. We will draw tickets, announcing the prize for the next ticket drawn.
IMPORTANT: You must be present to win!
The grand prize is a CAAD10 Frameset in your size. The runner up prize is a CycleOps Fluid Trainer. There will be other prizes as well but those are the two main ones.
I hope everyone has gotten in some good solid racing during the Series. See you Sunday!