Cat 5 Upgrade Guidelines (updated for 2014)

March 15th, 2011 by sprinterdellacasa Categories: News 7 Responses

Are you a Cat 5 that wants to upgrade to Cat 4? Let me save you (and me) some time.

All you have to do is start finish 10 races (this is new for 2012). In 2012 we will be recording all finishers in all races. This is a first for us and we hope to get it down the first week.

The officials may pull lapped riders, depending on circumstances. If you find yourself about to get lapped, move to one side if you can. If you do not have time to move over, simply hold your line parallel to the curb until the field goes by.

If you are lapped and the official does NOT pull you, remember that your race ends when the leader finishes. In other words, if you get lapped once, your race ends a lap early. You should not try and race an extra lap.

A few things you can read:
The rulebook link at USA Cycling (aka USAC).
Read this first. For upgrades, scroll down to page 21 6 7 (for 2014) of the “general guidelines” section.

Check out our FAQ at the top of the page. It has a link to some CT info stuff.

You can also check out the New England Bicycle Racing Association, which is our “local association”. Local associations help USAC deal with regional administration stuff. For NEBRA that includes license upgrades. On the NEBRA site check out the “Riders” section in the menu bar across the upper part of the page.

The concept you should get in all of this is that you have to read the rule book first. This way you’ll understand what is expected of you as a racer and what you should expect of promoters, officials, and other racers.

One thing the rule book doesn’t say is that USA Cycling expects riders to track their own races and results.

That’s not saying that’s the spirit of the rule, but that’s the way it’s written.

As a rider you should feel comfortable in a pack, understand cornering in a group, know some basic group riding etiquette, and be able to deal with the surges in speed.

Fitness and placings have almost nothing to do with a 5>4 upgrade – it’s all about experience and group riding skills.

1. Tim says:

Aki…..do your clinics count as described in the rulebook? It say if it’s “USAC sanctioned rider education clinic” local associations my establish a policy that it’s acceptable for an upgrade.

• sprinterdellacasa says:

I’m afraid they do not. Currently they are not approved clinics, at least for upgrade purposes.

2. Tim says:

Doesn’t matter, still worth it. I’m coming to the clinic this week even though I can’t race due to injuries from last week. If the guy who started the whole mess came, the crash may not have happened.

3. Ruben Morales says:

Quick question. Now in order to gain credit for racing in the events, does Bethel submit information to USA cycling or is it the rider’s responsibility to track the total number of events and provide evidence?

Thank you for your help.
    Ruben

• sprinterdellacasa says:

It’s always the rider’s responsibility to track their races. Remember Cat 5s don’t need to finish, merely to start.
      We submit all the results we post on the window to USAC. We do not submit DNFs or places beyond what we post on the window.
      I hope this helps answer your question.
      Thanks
      Aki

4. Gary says:

Just wanted to say thank you for a great race, and a big thumbs up on the CAT 5 clinic. At first I thought it was going to be a joke, but after sitting through it, I saw the importance of it, especially once I noticed that a good amount of the racers had little to no group riding skills whatsoever. Keep up the good work.

• sprinterdellacasa says:

We don’t want the clinic to be a joke. A good sign was last year when a long time racer, back from the 80s, asked me if he could listen in on the clinics after hearing the first one. That was reassuring. One problem is that many new racers don’t know what they don’t know so it’s perhaps a bit frustrating. The other thing is the limited time. I don’t have more time in the day so I have to squeeze it in the allotted time period. I want it to be productive. On Sunday I noticed a guy from last year’s clinic that was in the same race as me in the 3-4s and look absolutely fluent. That was great to see.